💯 Why Do One Better
One of the most common single-use items in your house, toilet paper is solid way to get yourself introduced to purchasing more sustainable and ethical brands that are better for the environment.
We have a deep dive on the true cost of toilet paper linked below, where we share some of the big issues with TP today and the exciting innovative future brands are working on.
Some big things to call out:
- Each roll takes over 37 gallons of water, 1.5 pounds of wood and 1.3 kilowatt/hours of electricity to produce.
- Much of the logging in the boreal forest occurs within hundreds of indigenous communities' traditional territories, threatening generations of culture, health, and relationships to the land.
- Innovative approaches to TP include recycled fibers, alternative fibers and bidets!
We highly encourage you read our newsletter edition for more in-depth information.
Toilet Paper's Messy Situation
We hit a humble milestone this past week: there are now over 100 of you in our tribe! We are flushed with gratitude. We want to make this the best newsletter possible, and we'd love to hear from you. Got 5 minutes? Please fill out this feedback form.
🗒️ Ingredients to Watch Out For
We recommend you look into more depth about these ingredients and how they could affect your body. Generally, these descriptions should apply to most people.
- BPA: Endocrine disrupter which can cause metabolic disorders. High levels have been found in recycled toilet paper. Be wary of recycled TP from printing paper.
- Chlorine: Used to bleach and soften toilet paper. It releases toxic dioxins which can damage reproductive, immune, and endocrine systems. Chlorine is hard to avoid, a less harsh element is chlorine dioxide.
- Formaldehyde: Skin irritant and known cancer-causer (derivatives of formaldehyde start with quaternium-). Manufacturers use this to improve the strength of toilet paper.
- Fragrance: An umbrella term for thousands of chemicals. There's no way to know what makes up fragrance.
- Methylisothiazolinone: A chemical lethal to tissue neurons. Please help us pronounce this ingredient.
- Sodium benzoate: Preservative that is also used in fireworks production.
Check out some of these brands for a more sustainable, ethical and affordable option. We know that some prices are higher than average (average $0.75/roll), so we are always on the hunt for more affordable alternatives.
Don't see a brand you believe we should recommend, let us know here!
Note: We are not sponsored for any of these links today, outside of our affiliate link with "Who Gives a Crap."