💯 Why Do One Better
With the wide range of ingredients found in skincare, it's hard to tell which can have harmful impacts on your body, whether it be because you have sensitive skin or the material itself is harmful to humans in general.
Hopefully we can clarify some of those potentially toxic ingredients and show that it's worthwhile to spend a couple more dollars on skincare that uses clean ingredients. Buying high quality skincare really is a form of self care.
We don't have a piece on the true cost of skincare yet, where we will go further into the environmental and human issues and discuss about the future direction of skincare.
Sign up on our homepage, so you can get notified when this piece comes out!
For now, take a look at the ingredients below to learn more about why they could prove harmful to you. Also check out other potential brands that we recommend for a more sustainable, ethical and more affordable option!
We want to callout that we are not beauty experts, so we highly recommend you look further into these ingredients through the links we provided below.
🗒️ Ingredients to Watch Out For
We recommend you look into more depth about these ingredients and how they could affect your body. Generally, these descriptions should apply to most people.
- Formaldehyde: Skin irritant and known carcinogen (derivatives of formaldehyde start with quaternium-).
- Formaldehyde releasers: Bronopol, DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, and quaternium-15 are preservatives that slowly form formaldehyde.
- Fragrance: An umbrella term for thousands of chemicals. There's no way to know what makes up fragrance.
- Parabens (methyl-, isobutyl-, propyl- and others): A preservative to prevent bacteria from growing in cosmetics that has been found to mimic the hormone estrogen.
- Mineral oil aka Paraffin: A common additive to lip gloss, concealer, eyeshadow, SPF, and balms that is a byproduct of petroleum.
- Polyethylene glycol (PEGs): Chemical thickeners that are potentially petroleum derived.
- Triclosan: Antibacterial and antifungal ingredient used as a preservative. This chemical negatively impacts the immune system and cardiovascular function.
- Oxybenzone: Endocrine disruptor found in sunscreen, lotions, lip balms, and fragrance.
- Toluene aka Butylated Hydroxytoluene: Linked with brain toxicity and dangerous during pregnancy. Banned in the EU and Southeast Asia as well as some retailers in the US. Can be found in nail polish, nail treatment, and hair dye.
- Talc: Smoothing agent in mineral makeup and is generally safe but can potentially be contaminated with asbestos.
- Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAs and PFCs): Potentially hide thousands of chemicals and are found in sunscreens, hair products, and shaving creams. Linked to serious health effects including cancer, thyroid disease, and reduced effectiveness of vaccines. They're common in waterproof products (they are water repellants).
- Teflon (Polytetrafluoroethylene aka PTFE): Added to cosmetics to improve texture. A hormone disruptor and is linked to reproductive issues.
- Resorcinol: Found in hair color and bleaching products and is linked to skin irritation and immune system dysfunction.
Check out some of these brands for a more sustainable, ethical and affordable option. We know that some prices are higher than average, so we are always on the hunt for more affordable alternatives.
The following brands are Vegan, Cruelty free, effective, and have missions dedicated to changing the way the world uses skincare, and bridging the gap between conventional and effective skincare.
Don't see a brand you believe we should recommend, let us know here!
Note: We are not sponsored for any of these links today.