💯 Why Do One Better
By opting in for a dairy free and nontoxic alternative, you're choosing better ingredients for you and your body and supporting animal welfare.
We don't have a piece on the true cost of ice cream yet, where we will go further into the environmental and human issues and discuss about the future direction of ice cream.
Sign up on our homepage, so you can get notified when this piece comes out!
For now, take a look at the ingredients below to learn more about why they could prove harmful to you and we'll keep it very high level. Check out other potential brands that we recommend for a more sustainable, ethical and more affordable option!
But we do have a piece on the true cost of milk, which is a crucial ingredient to making ice cream 😋. Read our piece below or check out our page on milk for more info and alternatives!
In case you missed it, we have some exciting news! We launched our first product, doonebetter.today, a one stop shop for finding ethical and sustainable alternatives to common goods. There are still a lot of goods to add, but we'll continue updating the website frequently, so check back for updates.
🗒️ Ingredients to watch out for
We recommend you look into more depth about these ingredients and how they could affect your body. Generally, these descriptions should apply to most people. Sourced from Creamies.
- Calcium sulfate: Commonly used as a desiccant, which basically means that it encourages dryness; it absorbs water. For ice cream, it is used as a firming agent help the ice cream not melt as easily. Because of its properties, it is used in stuccos and plasters. It makes things fire resistant.
- Polysorbate 80: An emulsifier that is a combination of two liquids that don’t naturally mix (in ice cream, that’s referring to the milk and the fats). It makes ice cream smoother to handle and it's not naturally occurring.
- Xanthum gum: Thickening and stabilizing agent in ice cream that can double as a paint thickener and grout cleaner.
- Mono and diglycerides: Emulsifiers and preservatives that also double as trans fats.
- Artificial flavors: Used to either enhance flavors for weaker tastes or to produce goods cheaply.
- Vitamin A Palmitate: Synthetic version of Vitamin A, and in high doses can be damaging to one's health.
Check out some of these brands for a more sustainable, ethical and affordable option. We know that some prices are higher than average (around $4.75 per 1/2 gallon), so we are always on the hunt for more affordable alternatives.
We recommended these ice cream brands because they are free of toxic ingredients, are vegan, creamy/delicious (as ice cream should be), and won't break the bank.
Don't see a brand you believe we should recommend, let us know here!
Note: We are not sponsored for any of these links today.